Hunter Whittington is owner of Hunter C. Whittington, CPA. He has over 15 years experience in the field of public accounting and holds a Bachelors of Arts in Accounting and a Masters of Accounting from the University of West Florida. He is a licensed Certified Public Accountant in the state of Florida.

Hunter specializes in individual and small business tax returns. He has also consulted with several accounting firms across the country on how to become more efficient by converting to a paperless filing system.

Hunter's professional and civic affiliations include:
  • American Institute of Public Accountants (AICPA)
  • Florida Institute of Public Accountants (FICPA)
  • Graduate of Leadership Pensacola (LeaP 2005)
  • Treasurer of Workman Middle School PTSA
  • Committee member for City of Pensacola Redistricting Commission (2011)

Email from the IRS is not legitimate

Let's get this out of the way right up front: The IRS isn't going to send you an email. Not ever. The government sends old-fashioned snail mail. If you get an email claiming to be from the IRS, it's probably some sort of phishing scam, designed to get you to divulge your social security number, bank account number, or some other personal info. There really aren't any exceptions to this rule, so don't be fooled.

Check the identification numbers

Carefully check identification numbers – usually Social Security numbers – for each person listed. This includes you, your spouse, dependents, and persons listed in relation to claims for the Child and Dependent Care Credit or Earned Income Tax Credit. Missing, incorrect, or illegible Social Security numbers can delay or reduce a tax refund.

Extensions Are For Returns

Be aware that although you are filing for an extension, that will only extend the time you have to file your return. The extended deadline is not for the taxes that are due — you will still have to pay them off before tax day. If you can't pay it off, you should still file on time and pay whatever you can to avoid the late fees and penalties. Then, work a payment plan out with the IRS.

Organize yourself

Make sure you have all your relevant documents on file. You should have your W-2's, 1099 Forms, and mortgage interest statements. Then you should be keeping all your receipts as proof of claimable expenses. File similar types of documents together. Having all your documents in order helps to ensure all your records are accurate.

Avoid Refund Anticipation Loans

Many people don't realize that "rapid refunds" do not come from the IRS -- they are loans from tax preparation companies and can cost you as much as 30 percent in interest. With e-file and direct deposit, you can get your tax refund in as little as ten days.
Hunter C. Whittington
2460 Semoran Dr.
Pensacola, FL 32503
*Frist Name: *Last Name:
Street Address :
City: State: Zip:
*Phone Number: *Email:
*How can I help you?
How did you hear about me? Other